Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is an adjustment of status?

A: An adjustment of status refers to the process used by eligible individuals who are physically present in the United States to obtain permanent resident status without having to leave the U.S. An adjustment of status may be permitted if the individual meets the necessary requirements for a green card. A licensed immigration attorney can walk you through the steps required to obtain an adjustment of status, including filing the required paperwork, confirming eligibility and helping you prepare for your interview, if applicable.

Q: What is asylum?

A: If you are present in the U.S. or just entering the U.S., you may request asylum. Asylum may be granted allowing you to remain in the U.S. if you can show that you need protection from persecution or the fear of persecution. Persecution may be based on religion, nationality, race, political opinion, or affiliation with a certain social group. There are specific application timelines that you might be required to meet, as well as other factors you must establish to obtain asylum. A licensed immigration attorney can help assess your situation to see if you are a good candidate for asylum.

Q: When do I qualify for naturalization?

A: If you have been a permanent resident for at least five years, you may qualify for naturalization. You also must be 18 years of age or older, be able to speak, write and read English and have a basic understanding of the way the United States government functions. You also must be of “good moral character”.

Q: Why do I need an immigration attorney?

A: There are many individuals and businesses operating immigration scams. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security suggests one way to avoid immigration scams is to hire a licensed immigration attorney. When you talk to an attorney about immigration issues, you can verify the attorney’s license to practice law by visiting the state bar association’s website and searching for the attorney’s name. You can also check the Department of Justice’s “Disciplined Practitioners” webpage for a list of attorneys who are no longer allowed to practice immigration law.